Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Mustache Club, Phase 2 : Music videos

Yesterday, I tackled the customized vinyl component of The Mustache Club, let's tackle another aspect today, music videos.

While I love everything there is about Pantaloon Descendo, (the music, the lyrics), I do have one major challenge:

I don’t play live shows.
  • I don’t play live because of stage fright issues.
  • I don’t play live because I don’t have the discipline to practice frequently enough.
  • I don’t play live because I can’t even remember my own songs by heart.

That’s a hell of a challenge when the best way to get known is to get out there and play on a stage.

So, being an artist that only records music and releases it without ever playing live is quite a challenge.

How do you get people to know about your art?


The solution: music videos

I might not be able to play live for now, but it doesn’t mean Pantaloon Descendo can’t have a strong visual image.

So, I decided the releases should be backed up by music videos.

It allows to create a visual branding for the band all while bypassing my stage fright issues.


Produce the videos in-house

However, good quality music videos cost a lot of money. It will run anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000, depending on the technical difficulty and reputation of the production company.

Given that number, when I crunched the numbers, I realized it’s actually possible to buy your own material for the cost of hiring an agency to create a mid-tier quality music video.

I might not be very good at self-promotion, but I understand numbers. If I can own the material and shoot everything myself for the price of one video, I’d be dumb not to do it!

So, instead of hiring a team to produce videos for Pantaloon Descendo and The Mustache Club, I purchased my own video production equipment.

As a result, not only will The Mustache Club be a music label, it’s also going to be producing music videos.

Only for Pantaloon Descendo to begin with, then we'll see along the way if it's possible to branch out and shoot videos for other bands.

And I intend for Pantaloon Descendo to grow organically with the medium. 

No comments:

Post a Comment