Friday, September 19, 2014

Fear of failure

In early January, I had an interview with an ad agency.

Turns out they were complete dinks who were looking for someone who’d be willing to do the job for half of what I currently make, yet work twice as much.

Not interested.

They were absolute pricks. Very entitled. And I never would’ve wanted to work for that company, I disagreed with their corporate culture.

Ultimately, I left the interview frustrated, because they asked the world of their employees and offered a shit pay. I thought it was a complete waste of my time and mentally wrote the whole experience off.

However, during the interview, one of the executives said something that stuck with me.

Here, at the agency, we have a motto: Fail often, fail quick!

I didn’t really reflect on it right away… It took a while to sink in.


“Fail often, fail quick!”
Over the years, I’ve developed a lot of angst over Pantaloon Descendo and The Mustache Club.

It’s a project that’s been in the works for years – I wrote the first Pantaloon Descendo songs back in 2004 and have yet to release anything. We’re in 2014 for fuck’s sake.

But I’ve been too afraid to try. Because I wanted everything to be perfect.

I haven’t been failing; I haven’t been doing anything!

Sure, over 10 years, I’ve built a good back catalogue of songs waiting to be recorded. But this project could be way ahead already instead of still being in its infancy.

Turns out I haven’t been failing or succeeding with Pantaloon Descendo and The Mustache Club, because I haven’t been trying.

I’ve been stuck in a cycle where I simply didn’t want to release anything until I was absolutely satisfied with the strategy.

Didn’t want one of Pantaloon Descendo’s releases to go into limbo because of a poor PR campaign. Didn’t want a video to go unnoticed because of a bad release strategy.

Haven’t been trying, and I’ve been using “perfectionism” as an excuse.

But “Fail often, fail quick!” has been echoing through my mind.

Fuck it. I’m ready to fail. No more exhaustive planning with no action.

Let’s fail often, let's fail quick.

It’s better than stressing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment