Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Creating a brand identity – Band

Yesterday, I laid out the key points to The Mustache Club’s Brand Identity.

First and foremost, Pantaloon Descendo’s music is the product. Without Pantaloon Descendo, there is no need for The Mustache Club.

Yet, the branding strategy for Pantaloon Descendo isn’t that different from the one I laid out for The Mustache Club. 

It revolves around three key principles:


1) A good name : Pantaloon Descendo

I like the name.

It’s unique (which makes it Google-exclusive, a very important aspect today).

The name is a personal creation, which comes from the French “Pantalon Descendu”. It translates into “dropped down pants”.

It sounds like it could be a magical formula or something.

But it definitely foreshadows something naughty.

Which is great, because I like to brand my style as “Naughty folk!”


2) A strong logo



The logo combines a heart and an inverted cross. It’s a different spin on something universal, the heart symbol. It is easily recognizable. 

It is easy to reproduce by hand, and easy to slap everywhere as a watermark. 


3) Visual image: make up

I chose to hide my face under black and white make up for one reason: plausible deniability. I have a good career and don’t want to fuck it up (yet) by having colleagues dig up some dirt on me.

At the same time, I enjoy the ‘mystique’ of hiding one’s face.

In an age where everyone’s super accessible all the time via social media, posting selfies and all, I like the idea of maintaining some sort of distance between my personal life and my artistic endeavours.


No comments:

Post a Comment